www.njsurcharge.com – New Jersey Surcharge Online Payment

A New Jersey Surcharge refers to a fine you pay based on the points accumulated throughout the year for traffic violations. Now, you might not want the hassle of going to pay for it in person. Here’s how you can pay for it online, among other things.

How to Pay NJ Surcharge Online?

Paying online for your surcharge is the easiest way you can do it. All you need to do is to go to the njsurchage.com portal and pay. Any major credit or debit card is acceptable. The processing fee deducted by banks for this mode of payment is between 2 to 3%. I paid for my NJ Surcharge last month, but I could not access the njsurcharge.com page. But there’s a way you can still do it. Let me show you how.

Note: You need a Driver’s License Number, Notice Number, Surcharge Number, Installment Payment Plan Number, or a Surcharge Number to check record.

Select any of the identification documents above, enter the respective number, select date of birth, click Submit

There are basic calculations made to arrive at your surcharge fee. I’ve always found it important to know how much you can pay for what. So stick with me as we talk about those fees.

How NJ Surcharge is Calculated?

If you have any traffic offense, you have to pay for a surcharge at the end of the year. This will depend on your offense and points accumulation. Before we jump to the money bit of bit, let’s look at what results in those fines and points. There are two main things you will pay for namely;

There is a certain fine pegged on these violations. Whatever the fine, you will pay it for three years consecutively. Let’s go deep into what each of the above violations takes from your pockets.

Here’s How NJ Surcharge is calculated:

These surcharges may include any levies you need to pay your insurance company.

Note: There are no point reductions for suspension-free driving, for driving improvement schools, or a one-year violation.

These charges may result in heftier fines. For instance, if caught driving while suspended and have not insured your vehicle, a court could fine you up to $3000.

Friendly tip: Pay the surcharge in full before showing up in court to avoid this extra penalty.

The same advice goes for the other fines. Always pay on time by the due date.

The result: you get to avoid a suspension from driving.

The solution: pay for the amount to the minimum amount required to New Jersey Automobile Insurance Surcharge and Collections(NJ-AISC). You will also need to pay a $100 restoration fee. Mind you, do not drive any vehicle until you are sure enough that your driving privilege is confirmed.

You may feel that a suspension of your driving privilege was not necessary. There is an option for you to appeal for that decision in a New Jersey court of law. If you’re stuck on how to go about it, here’s what to do:

How to Appeal for MV Suspension in NJ Court?

A motor vehicle driving suspensions exposes you to the stress of your everyday commute. Usually, you get a Scheduled Suspension Notice. It would be best if you started the appeal immediately. Of course, you may appeal on your own, but my best advice is seeking the services of a lawyer to speed things up. So what next after this?

New Jersey Scheduled Suspension Notice
  1. First, go through your License Suspension Letter. Two things to note in the letter are the reason and duration of the suspension. Noteworthy, pay close attention to the date the suspension takes effect. A light suspension could take fourteen days. A grave suspension could be for an indefinite period (if you do not want to go to court you could solve the suspension, I will show you how in the last bit).
  2. Request a hearing. Here, send a letter of appeal before the suspension takes effect. There are several things you need to state in your letter. Make precise arguments to the facts of your suspension. Also, argue contrary to the relevant laws you dispute according to the suspension notice. Your lawyer’s office can help with this.
  3. Attend the appeal hearing. This should happen in Trenton at the NJ MVC regional office. At the office, you will find a hearing agent. The agent does several things:

The agent could eject the suspension, reduce suspension duration, or maintain the previous suspension decision. In case you are not happy with the decision, you could go on to challenge that decision with your attorney in a Supreme Court.

If you do not want to go through this hassle, you could still agree to your charges. I had promised to show you how you could go about this. Here’s what to do:

(Do this before the suspension takes effect).

That’s all.


You can avoid a surcharge by being conscious of traffic laws. Have your valid license, your car tag in good condition, carry car registration, the insurance, among other things. This way, you avoid being on the wrong side of the law—all the best on the road.

Exit mobile version