Different states in the US have different traffic laws, which, when violated, translate to a traffic ticket. If you’re in California and commit a traffic offense, you need to pay for your traffic ticket. One way of paying for your traffic ticket in California is by doing it online.
In this guide, I will guide you on how to pay traffic tickets online in California.
For starters, let’s look at some of the traffic mistakes that result in a traffic ticket.
Offenses that lead to a traffic ticket in California
The four major violations that amount to a traffic ticket in California(CA) are namely:
- Non-moving violations like parking
- Moving violations such as speeding
- Failed vehicle equipment could be a broken headlight.
- Bad paperwork, usually lacking proof of insurance or lacking registration or license. On occasions, maybe the credentials are expired.
Note: Every traffic ticket has a fine attached to it. Usually, some offenses will have some points added to your record resulting in further penalties.
California’s traffic tickets pointing system
Above, we talked about how some offense will result in points placed on your driving record. So, what criteria are used to award points?
- Foremost, a moving violation amounts to one to two points. These points vary based on the severity of the offense.
For example, if you are charged with violating a red light, an at-fault accident, speeding, or changing the lane unsafely, 1 point will be added to your record.
- Secondly, you will be awarded points for driving beyond the 25 miles per hour limit, for reckless and driving under the influence. Moreover, for a hit and run.
Warning: The punishment for the above violations would result in a canceled or suspended driving license.
Suspension of your license in CA DMV is usually about 6 months. This varies with the points accumulated as follows
- 4 points lead to a 12-month suspension
- 6 points result in a 24-month license suspension
- 8 points mean a 36-month suspension
There are other punishments for more violations as follows:
Increased insurance rates. Your insurer will always want to check your driving record every time you apply for insurance. If you have accumulated lots of points on your record, you will be charged highly.
Be careful: Accumulated points could take between 3 to 7 years to leave your driving record. Considering you cannot drive without insurance, being careful protects you from these hefty traffic repercussions.
It is always important to pay for your traffic tickets in California on time. Paying online makes it swift and convenient for you.
How to pay for California traffic tickets online?
Your traffic tickets in California are usually paid to a court in that city. In California, there are multiple courthouses. If you’re in California City, then the payment will be made to Riverside Superior Court online as follows:
- Foremost, go to the Riverside Superior Court of California official website. You can click here to go to the site directly.
- Secondly, on the “Divisions” tab on the many at the top, navigate to “Traffic” ( A page will open)
- Thirdly, navigate to the “Pay Traffic Ticket” button ( A new page opens)
- Now, under the ePay-it Portal section, click Pay Traffic Ticket Online (This will open the epay-it.com site on another tab)
- Then, click the choice of the courthouse (Under Step 1: Choose Location)
You are free to choose a different court based on your location within Califonia. In my case, I chose the Riverside County Superior Court. Choosing a location leads you to Step 2: Find Your Citation.
- Here, fill in the form just below to get your citation. The details required include your name, date of birth, and case or citation number and click “Search (You will move to step 3: Select Options)
Note: Remember to add an email address to send a payment receipt to you or a date of confirmation.
- Choose the payment option and conclude payment in step 4 to details and by following the hints on the site to sort out your traffic ticket.
Bottom line: Follow hints as demonstrated by the ePay-it.com site.
Note: Paying online is not the only option for settling traffic ticket dues.
- Best Places to live in New Jersey
- Pay parking ticket online NJ
- Get a Fishing License NJ
- NJMC Plead not guilty
- Pay parking tickets in NYC
Other methods of paying traffic tickets in California
Apart from paying traffic tickets online in California, there are other options to use as follows:
- By mail by addressing: Payment Processing Center at 505 S. Buena Vista, Room 201, Corona, CA 92882.
- Showing up in-person to the Riverside courthouse.
- By phone, you can pay using a credit or debit card call 951.222. 0384. This method is available 24 hours a day for 7 days a week.
Note: You can dispute your traffic ticket so that you do not have to pay for it.
How to dispute traffic tickets in California
You have multiple options to take when you get a traffic ticket in California. In case you feel that you were not guilty, you can appear in court to dispute the ticket. Here’s what to do:
- Adhere to the date of a court appearance on “Notice to Appear” on your ticket or reminder notice.
- Ask for a trial. You may call the courts beforehand to make this request.
- Here, you will have two options. A trial by mail using a written declaration or in-person presided by a judicial officer.
If found guilty, pay the fine on time to avoid further penalty.
Paying traffic tickets in California online is easy. Above you will find more payment methods for your tickets, the California traffic points system, and the offenses amounting to California’s DMV ticketing. Finally, you can dispute traffic tickets in California. All you need to do is pay for your traffic ticket online in California today to avoid more penalties.